Optical Imaging to Advance Healthcare and Biomedicine
This team is focused on applying different types of optical imaging to advance screening, diagnosis and treatment of different diseases, primarily cancer. The team will go about this by conducting rigorous imaging studies of different tissue types, and then will conduct advanced image analysis to identify biomarkers. The team may also be involved with designing and assembling imaging devices for clinical application.
Issues Involved or Addressed
- Discovery of imaging biomarkers of disease
- What imaging technologies are best for screening / diagnosis, etc.
- What analysis techniques are most effective for identifying disease
- What are the biological mechanisms giving rise to the observed biomarkers?
- How can we develop accessible imaging tools?
Methods and Tech
The team will conduct imaging studies of different tissue types. Imaging technologies include optical coherence tomography, fluorescence imaging, microscopy, and multiphoton imaging. Tissue types may include pathological tissues (e.g., fixed and embedded), animal tissues, or human tissues. Analysis of imaging data will involve statistical analysis and potentially machine learning.
Academic Majors of Interest
- Optical Sciences and Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Any Health Sciences discipline
Preferred Interests and Preparation
- Documentation skills
- Attention to detail
- Basic computer skills (Excel, programming)
- Any laboratory experience is valuable
This team is currently full for Spring 2024.